Saturday, September 24, 2011

It's all mental....

Kim stop running.
Kim, you're tired, stop running.
Kim, you're legs hurt, stop running. 
Stop running. 
Stop running.
Stop running. 

This is my brain on running. 
It gets bored. 
Quickly. Very Quickly. 

Think about driving more than an hour. 
You need the right tunes/podcast/book on tape 
in order to keep your brain occupied. 



Running is the same way. 
I've found that most of the time my body is okay with the running, 
but it's my brain that holds me back. 

How do I combat this? 

Podcasts. Long ones. Funny ones. Interesting ones. 
Here are some of my favs! 



Aside from Ira Glasses' overall awesomeness, 
the stories are an hour long, and really entertaining. 
A shout out to Madam Donut, who turned me on to TAL. :-) 

Only a half hour long, but Jonathon Goldstein is hilarious. 
It takes a couple to get to know the characters, 
but it's funny sh*t. 

 Funny economists? 
Come on, it's endearing. 

Chicago's own Peter Seigal hosts this Quiz show 
(he's also a 3:25 marathoner and RW columnist) 
along with Carl Cassel, Mo Rocca, Paula Poundstone 
and many others. It. never. disappoints. 
Anthony and I went to a live taping this year andit was hilarious. 

Download "The Game"
If you laugh, you'll like all of these. 
If you don't, maybe this one isn't for you. 

Also not too long and unfortunately pretty infrequent, 
but it doesn't get much better than listening 
to your favorite celebrities talk about music they love. 
My favs? Rainn Wilson and Ceelo Green. 

How about you? What do you listen to when you run? 

3 comments:

Amber said...

What a great post! I suppose this rings true for anything you have to do for a long period of time! I am going to have to check out Wiretap. I love Jonathan Goldstein!

Unknown said...

You should check out all of the Ricky Gervais Show podcasts, they are hilarious.

Kim Bowers said...

Thanks ladies! I also really now love Pop Culture Happy Hour. Check that one out too! :-)